See Me and the Mental Health Foundation, in partnership with An Lanntair, wish to commission an artist to create a new participatory artwork on the Isle of Lewis. The project will take place from July 2019 onwards.
The commission is open to all art forms, and to groups of artists as well as individuals; however, it must do the following:
- Challenge mental health stigma and discrimination
- Work with members of the local community
- Demonstrate an understanding of the local culture, and of issues relating to rural/island living and mental health
- Culminate in a final exhibition, performance or other event
- Aspire to have a lasting legacy and impact on participants
The commissioned work will be showcased on Lewis with support from An Lanntair, including (if appropriate, and dates permitting) use of its auditorium or exhibition space.
The maximum budget for the commission is £10,000. This is inclusive of all expenditure (travel, accommodation, materials etc).
The commissioned artist/artists will work with members of the Lewis community to develop the project, in close consultation with See Me, the Mental Health Foundation and An Lanntair, who will offer administrative and mentoring support. The time-scale for the project is negotiable.
Proposals should include:
- An outline of the artist's response to this commission and the proposed artwork(s), including an overview of the artist's understanding of the brief, how this proposal meets the brief, and specific details on how the artist proposes to engage with local people to develop and produce the work. (Please try to keep proposals to five pages maximum.)
- A detailed CV.
- A detailed budget, including the artist fee, any materials or equipment, any travel or accommodation or other expenses (note: the maximum budget for this commission is £10,000 inclusive of all expenditure).
- A proposed time scale for the work.
- Two references from previous commissions, residencies or employment.
- At least two examples of previous work relevant to this commission (either web links or attachments).