We are excited to announce the programme for Gathering, our opening showcase event at the CCA in Glasgow on Wednesday 4 May. Join us as we open the festival and give you a taste of our incredible programme.
Tickets can be booked via Eventbrite and are all available on a ‘pay what you can’ basis.
The day’s headline event will be Gathering on Stage, an hour of live performances and film screenings in the CCA Theatre at 5pm featuring:
- Live music by Djana Gabrielle, singer-songwriter (recipient of 2021 SMHAF My Normality commission)
- Live music by 2 Stoned Birds, spoken word and music from Dundee (recipients of 2021 SMHAF My Normality commission)
- Live performance by Skye Loneragan, creator of Though This Be Madness (touring Scotland as part of SMHAF 2022)
- Film premiere by Catherine Grosvenor (recipient of 2022 SMHAF Gather artist commission)
- Film premiere by Bibo & Brian Keeley (recipient of 2022 SMHAF Gather artist commission)
- The premiere of A Way From Rage, a special recording and film as a tribute to the late Beldina Odenyo Onassis (Heir of the Cursed). The song, recorded by Kathryn Joseph, is a cover of a song that Beldina wrote for the Mental Health Foundation’s 70th anniversary in 2019. Adura Onashile and Laura Cameron-Lewis have also collaborated on a film to accompany the song. Watch it for the first time during this event, and find out more about the project here.
Gather together to watch a selection of warm and uplifting films on the big screen on our opening day. We showcase community-based projects which have inspired hope during the pandemic, alongside shorts by local and international filmmakers expressing the importance of connection for our wellbeing.
What should lockdown teach us about how we gather? Join us for an insightful conversation about how prejudice, illness, anxiety and other factors impact on our ability to gather, and what we should do about it. The discussion will bring together three recipients of this year’s SMHAF Gather artist commission – Jo Chukualim, Drew Taylor-Wilson and Bibo & Brian Keeley.